Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Workin' It Wednesday 8/21/12


This week I have two very talented artists doing two very different crafts. 

First up is Cindy (Durnell) Friend and her shop Handmade by Cosmo. She and I had a little conversation when she first joined Etsy, because I thought we might be related. Her maiden name is the same as my grandmother's and she lives in the same state my grandmother was born in. I didn't recognize any names she gave me, but I'm holding out for a score! Genealogy through Etsy, who woulda thunk!!

Anywho, she makes adorable stuffed critters in three different sizes, all hand stitched, and is very reasonably priced! Who wouldn't love to get one of these cuddlies as a special surprise? She also loves custom orders, so convo her up!
When Pigs Fly
When Pigs Fly $10


Party Elephant - Yellow
Party Elephant $10



Dolphin
Dolphin $10



Next up is Cristina Jaco, a very talented painter from Brazil. Her shop is found HERE. Here is what she says about her work -- 

"Contemporary Brazilian Art - Original oil paintings and watercolors of people, animals, landscapes and still lifes. My number one goal is to evoke an emotional response in the viewers of my work. I paint with vivid, intense colors and love to capture expression and detail."

Her work is bright and beautiful, and there are many pieces that would look fabulous in MY house, on MY wall.


Acrylic painting on paper - Red tulips II - still life
Red Tulips II Still Life $50



Watercolor painting original 6x10"- Rainbow bridge landscape
Rainbow Bridge Landscape $75



Watercolor painting original 6x10"- Red macaws
Red Macaws $75


======================================================================


My husband has done quite a bit of cuttlebone cast jewelry in his shop. I really love the texture of this material, it's so versatile and very unique. It's like a fingerprint -- the cuttlebone gets burnt up in the casting process, so no two pieces will ever be the same.

What is a cuttlebone? Cuttlebone is a hard, brittle internal structure found in all members of the cuttlefish.  Cuttlefish are marine animals of the same class which also includes squid, octopuses, and nautiluses. Today, cuttlebones are commonly used as calcium-rich dietary supplements for caged birds, chinchillas, hermit crabs, and reptiles. Because cuttlebone is able to withstand high temperatures and is easily carved, it serves as mold-making material for small metal casting for the creation of jewelry and small sculptural objects.

Here are a couple of my husband's lovely creations cast in cuttlebone.

Sterling Silver Ring Cuttlebone Cast Textured
Cuttlebone Cast Ring $60

Sterling Silver Brazilian Agate Pendant with Golden Brown Zircon Cuttlebone Cast
Brazilian Agate & Zircon $154


Diamond Engagement Ring Sterling Silver Cuttlebone Cast
Diamond Engagement Ring $215





Numbers 6:24-26 "The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace." 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, for featuring me and my Critters. Let's get together soon (cyberly), I have a great big genealogy book done on my father's side of the family. Seriously.
    Your jewelry is fantastic, but you know how much I love it already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great shops you featured! And thanks for the cuttlebone info, I love learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked some great photos to share. I'm loving the pink animal print flying pig, but I think I'll get the itsy maverick for my daughter.
    Blessings, Anna

    ReplyDelete