Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Olympics are Over! What Did You Like Best?



This year I watched more of the Olympics than I ever had before. My husband has always watched them, and because I would rather watch them than "Swamp People" or "Storage Wars" for the bajillionth time, we watched quite a lot of the games. I found that I really enjoyed them. It's is really amazing to see such skilled and strong athletes and their commitment to their sport. I marveled at some of the swimming and running events, when someone would pull out front to win in the last few seconds. And the United States did so well this year. Congratulations to all the United States Olympic athletes, whether you medalled or not, you were at the top of your sport to even be there!

That being said, I read quite a sad interview about a Chinese athlete, Wu Minxia, who won her third gold medal in diving. Wu's parents decided to withhold news of both the death of her grandparents and of her mother's long battle with breast cancer until after she won the 3-meter springboard in London so as to not interfere with her diving career. This is a quote from her father, which is what I found too sad for words. "We accepted a long time ago that she doesn't belong entirely to us," Wu Yuming told the Shanghai Morning Post. "I don't even dare to think about things like enjoying family happiness." 

Wu Minxia and Zi He (AFP)

 What a sad thing to say! I can't even imagine giving up my child for the "good of the country". And I doubt that the children get too much out of it but their 15 minutes of fame. Let's just hope and pray the U.S. never gets to this point. The government gets larger and larger, and more people are living on government assistance, and have government jobs. We have already given them too much control over our parental rights. I get so emotional over some of these issues. Most of us think, "That should be illegal" or "there should be a law against that". But...by making so many regulations and laws we are giving the government more control over us. Something to think about....

2 comments:

  1. Diving; gymnastics; archery; swimming; triathlon; the beginning and especially the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really sad about the Chinese family :( I have to say gymnastics is probably my favorite, although I do like diving and the track and field sports as well.

    ReplyDelete